Fall is the greatest time of year. The air is crisp and cool, the changing leaves turn the world into a magical wonderland of red and yellow hues, and the smell of pumpkin spice hovers in the air. Every coffee shop has a cup of pumpkin spice goodness and every bakery sells incredible looking pumpkin donuts, pies, and muffins. Unfortunately, none of those treats are ever vegan!
Upset that I wasn’t going to be able to enjoy a single pumpkin spice treat all Fall, I decided to create one of my own. I adapted one of my favorite Pumpkin Spice Cookie recipes from before I was vegan to not include egg and voila – vegan pumpkin spice goodness! These cookies are as amazing – I can’t get enough!
These cookies are perfectly soft and chewy, with a perfect pumpkin spice flavor (not to mention they are super easy to make)! They are a perfect Fall treat for vegans and non-vegans alike (my non-vegan family devoured these the same day I made them, and begged for more to share with their friends!).
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Makes 24 cookies
(Adapted from this recipe)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray two cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, salt and pumpkin spice. In another bowl, whisk the sugars, butter, cornstarch, pumpkin puree and vanilla together with an electric mixer.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in two additions using the electric hand mixer. The batter will be thick and have a crumbly, dough-like consistency. Once the batter is well blended, mix in the chocolate chips with a spoon.
- Roll the dough into balls of about 1 Tbsp each, and place on the prepared cookie sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
- Allow cookies to set for at least 5 minutes on the cookie sheets before removing them. Enjoy!
If you decide to make these (which I highly recommend you do!) let me know how they come out in the comments below!